Saturday, May 24, 2008

My girl is smart!

My daughter is scared of dogs. It really doesn't matter what size dog it is. She'll claim that she likes little dogs. But if she is presented with a tiny cute little fluffy dog she still acts petrified. It's a pain in the butt because there are dogs everywhere. Lots of people have dogs as pets. Any outside activities in the park or wherever, usually involve dogs. And it prohibits her from going places too. If a new friend wants her to come over, the first thing she asks me is if they have a dog before she'll commit to going.

Some houses we visit have the philosophy that the dog is part of their family and should not be inconvenienced by being put away someplace just because one kid is scared of it. Or people try to reason with her and tell her that the dog won't bother her. But if you are truly petrified with fear by something (and you are five) no amount of logical reasoning is going to matter.

My BFF's family has a golden retriever and she is wonderful about putting the dog away when we come over so that my daughter is not scared. I think she just wants my daughter to be so comfortable at her house and have fun and knows she can't do that if the dog is around. She is so good about it that sometimes I forget they even have a dog when we are there because the entire time the dog will be put away.

So my BFF's family got a second dog. A new little puppy they adopted from the Humane Society. She emailed me some pictures of her kids with the cute little mutt. So I told my kids about their new addition.

My point to this whole post is that since my BFF and I already have my daughter and her son betrothed and he is a dog kid and she is not, I asked my daughter how this will be handled once they are married. I asked her "What are you going to do when you and your boyfriend get married and he wants to get a dog?"............

She said "Well...... I'll get to decide because I'll be the Mom."

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

13 comments:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

YES indeed! Love it!!!

Multislacking Mama said...

I put my dog out when I know I will have guests who do not like a big ass dog all on them.

I don't really like guests, so thankfully it does not happen very often.

:o)

Melly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love yours. I've been laughing my way through it~from the neti pot (I'm about to use mine as I have a swollen uvula today and nasty congestion) to your Lilly dress purchases (I bought 4) to your lazy laundry post. I'll be visiting often. :)

Anonymous said...

You know, my boy's daddy calls me his "new mommy". That's how my boy will probably see your daughter. As it should be!
He's having a lot of practice listening to two mommies - me and his sissy!

Anonymous said...

HA! She's right!!!

The Chic Chauffeur said...

Today, I went to have the oil changed at our car dealership, and there was a lady waiting, IN THE WAITING ROOM, with her dog. The dog was on a leash, but he was not a small dog. He was a BEAST!! Now we have a dog. We are somewhat accostomed to animals. But when did it become ok to bring a dog with you into a place of business?? I was flabergasted enough to say something to the service desk, and the gal behind the desk gave me the 'look' and said, you and your family are welcome to wait up front. So I took my two youngest up to the front, where all the BRAND NEW, UN-SCRATCHED cars are, and explained to the salesman why I, and my two cherubs were playing around their nice fancy vehicles. Lady with the dog was soon waiting outside, and we were back in the play area, and snooty lady behind the counter was red faced. I mean, really. This dog was enormous. I would have been okay with one of those pocket book dogs, or even a nice lab, but this was some drooling mix of I don't know what. I was afraid to have my kids anywhere near him! I remembered your post, and came back to comment!!!

Lamp Tramp said...

Go little SAHM girl, she knows how to handle her life...love it! Miss you, I'll be back soon, just checking in before I leave xoxo take care!

Preppy Lizard said...

She is one smart cookie!
We have a gold retriever and I always put her away when I know poeple are coming over who are not dog lovers. No reason for people to be unhappy and uncomfortable at your house.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

WHERE are you???!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's great that she's already got everything figured out. Smart girl.

pve design said...

I decided on the dog, cause I'm the MOM!
too funny! cute post and fun blog!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

HELLO????!!!!

The Chick said...

Just found your blog....so cute!