Monday, April 7, 2008

Gin In My Apron Pocket: Healthier Eating

Don't let the title fool you. It's only been one day. Tonight I made Stuffed Turkey Burgers. It's an Ellie Krieger recipe from the Food Network.

1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers, divided
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Divide turkey into 4 equal sized rounds. Make 2 equal sized patties out of each round so you have 8 patties total. Sprinkle 4 of the patties with 2 tablespoons each of roasted red peppers and cheese, and top with remaining patties working the turkey around the edges to seal burgers closed. Season with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Grill or broil until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.


OK, I made the patties and my husband grilled them. So I did part of it. We even had them on whole wheat buns that my husband also grilled. They were ok. The thing with eating like this is I really have to convince myself to enjoy the food. Otherwise I could very easily think that tonight's dinner tasted like crap. I was really hungry so that always helps. I'm much less picky when I'm super hungry.

I'm really going to try to make healthier choices when it comes to food. It seems like everyone else is doing it but me. I'm just waiting around for everyone else to quit. Like it's a fad that won't last long. But everybody keeps on eating well and exercising. The joke is on me.

If anyone was reading my blog back around my birthday, you may remember that my Mother gave me a month of Nutrisystem (and a wad of cash!). I still have some food left from that. You see I NEVER complete ANYTHING 100%. I'm not kidding. I always quit. I am the least competitive person ever. I just have no drive.

On Easter my Mother told me to order myself another month of Nutrisystem and put it on her card. For Christmas she gave me a years membership to a local gym. Now before you go thinking that my Mom's a bitch about my weight. I ASKED for these things. Because I would like to be that healthy Mom who cooks light and works out every day. I just never have been and even if I start I have a hard time sticking with it.

So I'm going to try some baby steps. Remember "What about Bob?" with Bill Murray. That's going to be me. I'm going to just try and do a little here and a little there and maybe one day it will come more naturally to me.

Now I don't know what this means as far as the large volume of beer I consumed on Saturday. It was Bud Light. So that's a healthy choice, right? I mean it's not like I was throwing back full blown Budweisers!

4 comments:

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I am trying to watch what I eat too! I am trying to cut back on the Diet Dr. Pepper! Only had one yesterday!

Go check out my blog for hte Biggest Loser that my blog friend is having. It is making me try and watch what I eat so I don't look like a goof on Friday when I have to sign her Mr. Linky!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Dieting isn't easy....I hear ya. But I want to congratulate you for at least WANTING to make changes. That's the first baby step.

Keep it up, Doll!

Mom O Matic said...

Diet Dr. Pepper is my heroin. I can't quit it.

Good for you!

Email me at tsvobo1526 (at) comcast (dot) net and I'll walk you through putting a gin image up on your blogger blog!

Preppy Lizard said...

I've been trying to make healthier choices lately too and I've been doing daily walks. Every little bit counts. I too have a hard time sticking with it. I try to make one of my girl friends walk with me that way I have to show up.
Good Luck!!!