Monday, February 11, 2008

Fish Fry

Alright this post is a little late. But I mentioned the story in my last post so I thought I'd go ahead and write about it.

Friday was the first Fish Fry of the Lenten season. All the good Catholics like to show up on the first night and get seen by the Pastor for extra credit. So our family headed down to our parish school cafeteria where my son attends first grade. It is packed. I mean standing room only. There is a line down the hall like they are giving away money. And I mean big bills, like fives!

Of course, they aren't giving away any cash. They are just selling some crappy food. But we aren't really there for the food. We're there to socialize. I know you thought I was going to say we were there to support our parish. Yeah that too, but especially to socialize.

So while we are waiting to get into the cafeteria in the long line down the hall my son decides he can't wait with us and has to walk ahead in and see who he can talk to. In his own head he is running for an office of some sort.

We finally make it in and place our orders. We see some friends with some open spots at their table and make our way over. We track down our son and get him to sit down and eat about half of his crappy cheese pizza before he takes off again.

Now because this is a catholic function there is beer available. And for the bargain basement price of $2.00 a can. So my husband and I are treating this like happy hour and letting our children run wild.

We are finishing eating when we see some friends of ours just getting their food. So we wave them over and give them our seats. This way we can keep drinking $2.00 canned Anheuser Busch products and move the socializing around to other tables.

So all of a sudden there is a large crash in the front of the cafeteria by the food line. A clean up crew starts assembling because a plate had shattered. Now I've had several beers at this point and I figure I don't need to be worried about this mess because my kids have already eaten and are off playing.

So I resume talking when out of the corner of my eye I see a friend of mine approaching and carrying trays of pasta with my children following her. She tells me that she was up at the front of the cafeteria when my son stepped into the food line and took a tray. I guess his sister thought this looked like a good idea and followed him.

So he turns around with his tray and drops it. And like a nice boy and good big brother he takes off leaving his five year sister standing there with her tray when the entire cafeteria turns around to see what the ruckus is about.

When he sees that the mess is being cleaned up and it looks like there won't be any punishment he returns to claim a replacement tray. That is where my friend gets involved and helps them to the table.

I'm a little shocked to see them coming with food because I haven't paid for any of it. So my children basically stole three meals from the church.

They have the gall to jump in the long line in the first place and just take what they want. (Like they are neglected because their parents are loaded and they need to fend for themselves.) Then after losing one of the first dinners they stole they steal a replacement.

And like the good parents that we are that's when we decided to book it. Well, after they finished the pasta they stole. Because you know I wasn't up to feeding them when we got home after all the beer I had......