Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day



I have been thinking about my Dad today. My Dad passed away when I was eight months pregnant with my first child. So it's been a little over seven years now. I still miss him terribly and think of him every day. I have pictures of him all over my house and talk about him with my children. There are so many times when something happens and I think, what would my Dad have to say about that?

My Dad was not Irish. He was Italian. But he had some trouble with his family and in only the way an Italian can, he cut them off. When he was a young policeman he was partnered with an older Irish policeman. This man took my Dad under his wing and would include him in his big Irish family gatherings. So my Dad developed a real fondness for the Irish and all the closeness, traditions and fun that comes with a big Irish family. His favorite song was "Oh Danny Boy." We had it played at his funeral.

A couple of years before my Dad died, my parents went to Europe. They went to Britain, Italy, Germany, France.... but not Ireland. They always talked about and planned on making another trip over to see Ireland. I know my Dad would have enjoyed it so much. But they never made it. And I'll always regret that.

I talk to my Dad all of the time, out loud, still half expecting him to answer me. Sometimes he does in different ways. Today I am saying to him, "Dad I hope you enjoy all the Irish fun of St. Patrick's Day, the music, the dancers. I love you and miss you terribly. I'll have a beer or two for you. You know how I am!"

7 comments:

Monica said...

I'm so sorry about your dad...maybe he and my grandpa are listening to Irish music together. :)

I know my parents would love to go to Ireland someday...I wish I could send them.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

What a lovely tribute to your Italian dad! Very moving!

k e r r y said...

Your post touched me in so many ways today - my dad was admitted into the hospital Sat night and we are still waiting to hear what is going on. I can't even think about losing him right now. What a nice post to say hello to yours.

Anonymous said...

i am sorry that you are missing your Dad. I miss mine as well. He hasn't been a part of my life for years, but I need to visit him.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

I'll have a beer for your dad, too. A Toast is a Toast, right?!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

I was waiting for your comment on the C A T! LOL!

Lamp Tramp said...

So sorry about your Dad. Know your pain, I lost mine to cancer back in 1995. I still have dreams about him, telling me what and what not to do....maybe that is his way of staying in my life?