Sunday, March 30, 2008

M.I.A.

We decided to go to my Mother's lake house on Thursday afternoon. Normally I have internet access down there. When we got there Thursday night I did have access for a short while. Some time late Thursday night I lost it. AND I NEVER GOT IT BACK!!!!!!!

It was so frustrating. I was forced to finish a needlepoint belt that I had started for my husband a looooooooooong time ago. Come to think of it, maybe that bastard sabotaged my internet access so I would work on his belt. He is a little tired of waiting for it.

I'm totally addicted to my laptop and the internet. So it was a little like going through detox. I considered driving into town and sitting at a Starbucks for a while to score a hit of the net. But I didn't. Because as addicted as I am to the internet, my laziness supersedes that.

On top of no internet access. We slept in on Friday and let the kids run around in their pajamas and took it easy for a while. We got in late on Thursday night so we decided to skip baths for the kids. Well, by the time we got around to showering on Friday we discovered that we had no hot water. The hot water heater needed to be serviced.

Finding a plumber in a rural area on Friday afternoon presents a challenge. This same thing happened to my BFF and I and all four of our kids a couple years ago. We trekked to the lake house and did a whole bunch of running around before we decided to take our children home late at night and bathe them. And then found out that we had no hot water.

We found a plumber that time from the phone book that looked like Crazy Joe Davola from Seinfeld. It's a little unnerving having Crazy Joe Davola come find us two women and our kids alone and stinky at the lake. But we made it. Crazy Joe never came back to eat us. Maybe we were just a little too stinky for him. Plus, my BFF is tough. She would totally kick his ass and protect us. I call her my second husband. But that is a whole other post.

Feeling that as crazy as Crazy Joe looked last time he was there, that he didn't gouge us with his price, I suggested my husband give him a call. Apparently though Crazy Joe does not like being called on Friday afternoons. So we had to find another local plumber to give our $230 check to and we won't be calling Crazy Joe anymore. The new guy was just as creepy but very willing to stay at the house and replace parts and drain the hot water heater etc. etc. for hours and hours.

I have learned over the years to pack my checkbook. Because every year there is something that goes wrong and requires a check. I can't complain because my Mom always reimburses us and she barely uses the place anymore. I'd rather this happen while we were there so it is all taken care of when she goes.

Oh, and my arm still hurts when I move it. I'm still an old lady. I really hate the whole doctor routine. So I'm hoping that if I do a little voodoo it will just go away on it's own. Whattayathink? Good plan?

School resumes tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Lamp Tramp said...

Glad you had a get-a-way, despite no net and no hot water. Great story, you are so lucky to have a lake house to go to. Hope your kids had a great time. I hate going to dr's also. Avoid it whenever I can. Sometimes it is worse then the pain and suffering. Guess you got to use your best judgement. My orthopedic asks "What is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10"? That help can put it in perspective.

Multislacking Mama said...

Where do you lake? We lake at Lake Texoma (on the border of OK and Texas). I can't recall where you are from... so I may be telling you something you already know :)

Do you mind if I add you to my blog roll?

Holly

PS- thanks for your question about "wallered"! I made a blog just for you today :)