Saturday, March 22, 2008

Oh crap!

We were all just walking in the house and my daughter says to me "Mommy, I am so excited. The Easter bunny is coming tomorrow." And my husband and I looked at each other said "Oh crap."

We haven't bought any Easter candy yet! We really don't buy a lot of candy every year for their Easter baskets but there are some staple things a kid should get in their basket. I mean what is an Easter basket without a chocolate bunny?

So my husband just ran out to see what he can scrounge up. I already have some DVDs and a couple Leapster games for them. And my son is getting a t-shirt and baseball cap. My daughter is getting some cheesy High School Musical pajamas that she will love and some pink glittery flats from Target. So we just need a little candy.

I've learned to control myself a little over the years and instead of buying a new DVD or game that I want them to have and giving it to them immediately I save it for a holiday. Also I learned to not buy too many things for us to give them because they will get so much crap from family members every holiday too. My husband is really good too about telling his family what the kids would like to get and what we would like the kids to get. That way we don't wind up with some of those crappy types of toys that we usually try to avoid our kids seeing.

Our neighborhood surrounds a large old park that is about a mile around. The neighborhood association organizes a lot of fun activities in the park during the year. This morning was the annual Easter egg hunt. It was super cold but the kids had fun. After the hunt all the kids head over to the playground and the adults hang out and socialize. Today is was so cold we didn't stay too long.

There is a sad side note about the Easter egg hunt this morning. An ambulance had to be called because someone had collapsed walking towards the Easter egg hunt. They were close enough for everyone to see people performing CPR before the paramedics arrived. But they were not so close that it distracted all the kids.

The firehouse is pretty close to the park. So it didn't take too long for the ambulance and a fire truck to show up. But just seeing all the action from afar, makes you think that someone is going to have a crappy Easter holiday. Later on, my husband and I were talking about how different holidays have taken on a different feeling after losing someone special at that time of the year. You think of that loss every time the holiday comes around and they are never quite the same. Some poor family is now going to have this to remember every Easter.

2 comments:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Yikes. I think of that sort of stuff too. I hope that family has loving friends and family all around them.

The Easter Bunny brings a TON of stuff to your kids!! We just have way too much stuff, so I limit it severly. Add a couple of birthdays in there with a dash of Passover - well there you have it!!

Happy Easter So Tired!!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

That's how I'll always remember the Thanksgiving holidays - losing my dad. And since it was a holiday, we took pictures. So I have pictures of him two days before he died. Two days! One of them we used for the obit picture. Often I get them out and just stare at them thinking to myself over and over and over that he had only 48 hours to live, and it all just seems so unreal.