Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Snow Day

My children have a snow day today. I always look forward to snow days. I hear the forecast of the big snow we're going to get. I turn on the news and start looking for the school closings. I have a romantic fairy tale vision of relaxing all day doing whatever I want while the children play nicely and then ask if they could nap. Maybe we'll have some hot cocoa by the fire and play a game.

Well, there is a fire in the fire place and I was relaxing for a while. But I soon realized I have a ton of crap to do around here. And the children are playing, but not always so nicely. No one has requested a nap but me. And I'm too fat to be drinking cocoa. Especially on top of all of those girl scout cookies I have been sneaking.

Oh and my son has been talking in an annoying falsetto high pitched voice ALL day. Between having to listen to the high pitched voice and cleaning bathrooms I'm seriously about to lose it.

I hate cleaning. I hate dusting. The worst part is I can't even bitch about it to my husband. He has been busy overhauling our house. We live in an old house (1935) and we had a little tuckpointing problem in the front of our house which caused a little water damage in our living room. So that room needed to be repainted.

Since my husband is a little on the nutty side and can be a perfectionist he decided to repaint the living room including baseboards and crown moulding. And the dining room and the kitchen and the hallway including the wrought iron railing on the stair case. We have been wanting to hang some photos of our kids on the stairwell. So he sent me out to buy frames and we hung those last night.

Now I can't go complaining about cleaning bathrooms when he has been doing all this work after he gets off work from his real job. I hate projects like this. I mean he's all consumed with the project which means everything else is left to me. There is no way I can coerce him into cleaning the bathrooms if he is busy painting.

And the damn fire in the fireplace is just making me hot while I clean!

3 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

UGH! I hate projects like those, too. But I always love the end result. Stick it out, because new scenery is well worth it.

good luck! happy snow day!

Anonymous said...

We had a snow day too! And I got to clean house as well while my husband had to work from home. It's days like those that make me glad he has a job that gets him out of the house. We'd surely be divorced by now if he didn't. And there were a few "quarrels" that I had to referee. Not. fun. I'm beginning to hate snow days....

Monica said...

I don't think I'd be very inspired with a day like that, either.

Sorry I missed your birthday...loved the "wad"!!