Sunday, March 9, 2008

Some Recipes from Bunco

Here is the Blue Cheese dip. I made it the night before and then served it on French baguette slices. I also doubled the recipe. This was pretty yummy. I got this recipe from one of my girlfriends. I also have another good cream cheesy dip that I brought to another bunco night that was very popular. I'll have to share that one with you sometime too.

Warm Blue Cheese, Bacon, & Garlic Dip

7 slices bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ c half and half
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
3 Tbsp chopped almonds

Cook bacon in skillet until almost crisp, about 7 min, drain the fat add the garlic and cook until bacon is crisp, about 3 min.
Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the half and half and mix until combined.
Stir in bacon mixture, blue cheese and chives.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Transfer to an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and bake until thoroughly heated, about 30 min.
Sprinkle with chopped almonds and serve with pita chips, apples or French bread.


Here is the Brie recipe. I loooooove Brie. So I tried to eat all of this by myself. But those bitches dug in there and got their fair share. I also used the baguette slices for this and not the fruit that the recipe suggests. I used a 20 oz. Brie that I got at Costco and then doubled the recipe using pecans. I made this recipe the night before too. This one came from my neighbor's daughter.

SUGAR AND NUT GLAZED BRIE

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans
1 Tbsp brandy
1 (14 oz.) round Brie
Apple wedges, for serving
Pear wedges, for serving
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Crackers, for serving

In a small bowl stir together the sugar, nuts, and brandy. Cover and chill for at least 24 hours or up to 1 week. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Place the Brie on an ovenproof platter or pie plate. Bake for 4 or 5 minutes or until the Brie is slightly softened. Spread the sugar mixture in an even layer on top of the warm Brie and bake for 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until the sugar melts.

Brush the fruit wedges with lemon juice and arrange them around 1 side of the Brie. Place crackers around the other side.


When you pull the Brie out of the oven, let it sit for a while and get a little more solid. If you cut into it too early the Brie just spills out everywhere. My Father-in-Law did this to me at my daughter's birthday party. I pulled it out of the oven walked it into the dining room and placed it on a trivet. I headed back into the kitchen to get a spreader for it. By the time I got back in the dining room he had taken a spreader from another dip and cut into the Brie, which of course came spilling out of the rind. Like he just couldn't wait to get in there. There were other things on the table for him to eat. But apparently this was what he was waiting for and he couldn't wait any longer. It's still good. You can still scoop it up and spread it on bread. But the display is just not the same. Believe me I shared a word or two with him about this.

I'll share the other recipes too. I just didn't want to make this one huge ass post. So maybe tomorrow I'll do the chocolate chip cheese ball and the cocktail recipes.

2 comments:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

YES those are pajama pants in the weeding picture!! You are most observant! I do all of my gardening, unshowered, teeth unbrushed and in my pjs, don't you?

THANKS for posting the recipes! I have a brie en crute that I love and this recipe will make a nice hybrid.

YUM!!!

Preppy Lizard said...

Can I come to Bunko at your house next time....your food sounds so YUMMY!